[python-sybase] My sybase installation is hosed now :-(

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
25 Jan 2003 16:02:17 +1100

I decided that it was about time to upgrade to 12.5.  I downloaded the
linux rpms from sybase.com and converted them to debs using alien (I
use Debian) and installed.

I set the maximum shared memory size to 64M (the documentation says
this is the minimum).

Then I found I could not run the license configuration tool since it
is written in Java and their jvm is linked against glibc 2.0 (!).  So
I decided to see if I could manually build a license.dat file from the
less than helpful documentation.  It doesn't look like I was
successful.

I forged ahead and tried to run srvbuild (oh joy, another stoopid GUI
app - what is wrong with curses, or heaven forbid, cli?).  The process
segfaults with some massive stack trace.

So now I cannot do anything with Sybase.  Why oh why do they make the
installation process harder and harder with every release...

Has anyone out there managed to get Sybase ASE 12.5 going on Linux
(even better, Debian)?