[python-sybase] My sybase installation is hosed now :-(

Harri Pasanen harri.pasanen at trema.com
Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:11:37 +0100

On Saturday 25 January 2003 06:02, Dave Cole wrote:
> I decided that it was about time to upgrade to 12.5.  I downloaded the
> linux rpms from sybase.com and converted them to debs using alien (I
> use Debian) and installed.
>
> I set the maximum shared memory size to 64M (the documentation says
> this is the minimum).
>
> Then I found I could not run the license configuration tool since it
> is written in Java and their jvm is linked against glibc 2.0 (!).  So
> I decided to see if I could manually build a license.dat file from the
> less than helpful documentation.  It doesn't look like I was
> successful.
>
> I forged ahead and tried to run srvbuild (oh joy, another stoopid GUI
> app - what is wrong with curses, or heaven forbid, cli?).  The process
> segfaults with some massive stack trace.
>
> So now I cannot do anything with Sybase.  Why oh why do they make the
> installation process harder and harder with every release...
>
> Has anyone out there managed to get Sybase ASE 12.5 going on Linux
> (even better, Debian)?
>
> - Dave

Maybe it would be simpler for you just to install glibc 2.0?  It should not do
any harm.

I've only used OpenClient 12.5 on Linux, Mandrake 9.0, and that works without
problems.   Installing Oracle 8.1.7 also died for me because of some jvm
issue.   Looks like the Java 'virus' at work there as well...

-Harri