[albatross-users] General design question for ModularSessionApp

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Sat Mar 23 15:12:41 EST 2002

>>>>> "Lewis" == Lewis Bergman <lbergman at abi.tconline.net> writes:

Lewis> In popview4 the main entry point for the app contains a class
Lewis> and it has one imported class.

Lewis> I am kind of at a loss as to what should go in this "entry
Lewis> point" and what should be in a imported class. I know the
Lewis> example is a simple one but the class in it seems to be pretty
Lewis> single purpose.

Try to think of your problem in two parts.  Think about the pure
Python business logic first.  That should dictate most of the
structure of the Python code.  Next think about how you want to
present your business objects to the user.  This will determine what
HTML pages you need in your web application.

Try to keep a clean separation between the implementation of the
business logic and the presentation layer.  The more complex your
application the more important it will be to have a clean interface.

By placing the business logic in pure Python you will be able to test
the code without having to sit in front of a browser.

Lewis> I am designing a large app that will consist of data entry,
Lewis> modification, and reports on a postgres backend. I am having
Lewis> trouble deciding what (if anything) should be in the "entry
Lewis> point" file (popview in the example). I guess maybe classes
Lewis> that every module will need? Is that the main idea of that
Lewis> initial page? ( other than the obvious starting of the session
Lewis> ).

Start small by thinking of a simple part of the application which you
can code quickly.  Try building that portion of the application using
Albatross.  You will learn only by trying and making mistakes.

This stuff is quite mind bending.  Once you have some things going you
will find the rest starts fall into place.

I imagine that you have a model in your head but are having trouble
trying to attach Albatross to that model.  The best way to break the
log jam is to use Albatross on a trivial problem to let Albatross
become one of the mental constructs that you can push around in your
head.

Lewis> The docs and examples are great but being new to python and
Lewis> albatross is overwhelming me at the moment.

Start small and simple and build your knowledge slowly.