[albatross-users] Additions/help wanted?

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Tue Jun 25 21:16:10 EST 2002

Dan> Hi, I just found Albatross and it looks like what I am striving
Dan> for in the web application code I have been writing.  My work is
Dan> based on a portion of a very early WebWare but I did not like the
Dan> direction it was going so I forked my own project.

You can never have too many projects :-)

Dan> Currently the main area I am working on is form generation,
Dan> validation and integration with a SQL (MySQL) database.  I have a
Dan> good amount done at this point and could work it into the
Dan> Albatross framework.

Dan> The question is: Are you interested in help/contributions in this
Dan> area?  Or should I plan on a seperate project that is an add-on
Dan> that works with Albatross?

It depends.  I think that Andrew and I would have to see the code and
discuss with you how it may fit inside Albatross or as an optional
add-on to the main package.

Does this seem like a good approach to you?

We are trying to keep the toolkit small and modular.  If what you are
offering adds too much to the toolkit we might have to decide whether
we like a small toolkit more than we like your code :-).

Dan> For a little background: I have over 25 years of programming
Dan> experience.  I have good current experience with databases design
Dan> and usage (Sybase & MySQL), C/C++ and my favorite: Python.  I am
Dan> also very familiar with web protocols and such and was technical
Dan> director for a dot-com for a short time.  I also have several web
Dan> sites with one that gets over 500 unique visitors a day and
Dan> serves about 6GB/mo.

Cool.