[albatross-users] Albatross

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Wed Aug 28 05:23:33 EST 2002

From: "Michael Rembach" <mxr at itga.com.au>
To: "Dave Cole" <djc at object-craft.com.au>
Cc: "Andrew McNamara" <andrewm at object-craft.com.au>;
<albatross-users at object-craft.com.au>
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [albatross-users] Albatross

> Hi all,
>
> For simple pagination the prev / next model works well.
>
> What I had in mind for the tabbed notebook is that when you submit the
> form, it goes to the server and retrieves say, 2 tables of information,
> for example client info and product info and the tabbed notebook can be
> able to switch from one to the other without having to go back to the
> server.

Generalising this a bit further, what Albatross (and just about all open
source Web app frameworks which I have seen) needs is a means of handling
master/detail data eg display information about a customer as well as
information about that customers orders. Of course, doing this with plain
HTML is a real challenge, and most commercial Web app frameworks which
address this problem resort to various non-portable or browser-specific
JavaScript tricks, DTHML, ActiveX or other jiggery-pokery. I know that the
Albatross developers try to steer away from such client-side hocus-pocus,
with good reason.

Tim C