[albatross-users] Albatross

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Wed Aug 28 09:33:09 EST 2002

>> For simple pagination the prev / next model works well.
>>
>> What I had in mind for the tabbed notebook is that when you submit
>> the form, it goes to the server and retrieves say, 2 tables of
>> information, for example client info and product info and the
>> tabbed notebook can be able to switch from one to the other without
>> having to go back to the server.

Tim> Generalising this a bit further, what Albatross (and just about
Tim> all open source Web app frameworks which I have seen) needs is a
Tim> means of handling master/detail data eg display information about
Tim> a customer as well as information about that customers orders. Of
Tim> course, doing this with plain HTML is a real challenge, and most
Tim> commercial Web app frameworks which address this problem resort
Tim> to various non-portable or browser-specific JavaScript tricks,
Tim> DTHML, ActiveX or other jiggery-pokery. I know that the Albatross
Tim> developers try to steer away from such client-side hocus-pocus,
Tim> with good reason.

The templating system should be able to construct Javascript just as
easily as it does HTML.  The burden of course is on the application
developer.  I imagine that many of the DHTML books out there will
contain examples of how to do this.

Tim is correct in saying that we have tried to keep away from implicit
support of browser side tricks since we are want to limit the scope of
the problem we are trying to solve.