[albatross-users] Is Albatross right for my app?

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Thu Nov 9 12:30:25 EST 2006

>I'm working on a stateful ajax/comet app.  This involves maintaining
>state for the client browser app over a long period with many
>interprocess communications to a server daemon.  Ideally, this would be
>runnable on a shared hosting ISP running *nix/Apache.  This might
>involve a cgi intermediate that plugs into the daemon.
>
>Albatross' server daemon sounds like it might help, but I don't think I
>need all the template/page/macro parts.

I think Albatross is somewhat tangential to what you want. While people
have written AJAX apps that work in conjunction with an Albatross
application, they're typically hybrids (part CGI, part AJAX), whereas
it sounds like yours is purely AJAX.

>If the advice is to develop a custom daemon app, why did Albatross go
>with sockets instead of named pipes for interprocess communication?

Using sockets for the session daemon allows us to do things like have
multiple load-balanced web servers using one session server, so no
matter which web server the client hits, that web server has access to
the current session. If the communication between the application and
the session daemon was via a named pipe, both would have to reside on
the same machine.