[albatross-users] ALbatross 1.33

Stefan.Stirzaker at health.gov.au Stefan.Stirzaker at health.gov.au
Thu Apr 6 08:58:20 EST 2006

Hi Andrew,

I'll try removing the pipe to null from init.d but the session daemon isn't
creating a log file at all in the specified directory.  Or do you need to
create the file manually? I assumed it would create it if it doesn't
exists.  As this is a new installation on a machine it doesn't already have
the file.

I'm sure the path is correct as I double checked it as I thought the same
as you.

Thanks

Stefan Stirzaker
Office of Health Protection
Surveillance Branch
Surveillance Policy & Systems Section
(02) 6289 4576

|         |           Andrew McNamara   |
|         |           <andrewm at object-cr|
|         |           aft.com.au>       |
|         |           05/04/2006 02:28  |
|         |           PM                |
  |       To:       Stefan.Stirzaker at health.gov.au                                                                               |
  |       cc:       albatross-users at object-craft.com.au                                                                          |
  |       Subject:  Re: [albatross-users] ALbatross 1.33                                                                         |

>Has anyone had this problem?  I have installed albatross 1.33 but when I
>try and start it, it fails and when I run the tests in the test directory
>they all pass except one test which comes up with "cannot connect to
>session server".
>
>Anythoughts on what I've done wrong to not make Albatross start up?

Use ps to see if the session daemon is running. If no, either the init.d
script is failing, or the session daemon is aborting during startup for
some reason.

To work out which - look at the session daemon log file (apparently
/var/log/albatross/al-session-daemon.log in your case) - if the session
daemon is aborting, it will have logged the reason.

You could also temporarily remove the "> /dev/null 2>&1" from your init.d
script and run it by hand to see any errors generated by this part of
the script.

Are you sure /usr/local/src/bin is the correct path? /usr/local/bin would
be more typical.

>The script I'm using is
>
>start() {
>        local _log_prefix='/var/log/albatross'
>        local _subsystem='al-session-daemon'
>
>        /bin/su -l albatross -s /bin/sh -c \
>                "/usr/local/src/bin/al-session-daemon
>--pidfile=${_log_prefix}/$
>{_subsystem}.pid  --log=${_log_prefix}/${_subsystem}.log start > /dev/null
>2>&1"
> < /dev/null
>
>        [ "$?" -eq 0 ] && success || failure
>        touch /var/lock/subsys/albatross
>
>        return $?
>}

"Important: This transmission is intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain confidential or legally privileged information.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this communication
is strictly prohibited. If you receive this transmission in error please notify the author immediately
and delete all copies of this transmission."