[albatross-users] Web-based SQL record editor?

Daryl L. L. Houston daryl at learnhouston.com
Tue Oct 26 23:51:30 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 02:57, Gregory Bond wrote:

>>[A bit OT for the Albatross list, but maybe not.]
>>
>>I'm looking for something that will allow me to easily whip up simple
>>web pages to edit/delete/add records to an SQL database.  Ideally, it
>>would know enough about Sybase system tables to extract DB schema etc
>>itself without a whole heap o configuration.  Ideally, in python to work
>>with Albatross, but I'll look at other languages/toolkits.
>>
>>I can't imagine I'm the first person to ask about this, but an hour or
>>two of googling/sourceforge searching only turned up MySQL admin tools.
>>Maybe I just don't know what to ask for.

FWIW, PHP's got pretty good support for sybase, though processing error
output can be a real pain. I don't know of any toolkits specifically for
doing what you want, though I'm sure there are plenty of abstraction
layers that would make the actual data manipulation piece fairly
transparent. I'm on board with Mike's suggestion that you consider
switching to mysql or postgres. Newer versions of mysql using InnoDB
tables support much of what's supported by sybase/mssql, and I hear
postgres is very robust, though I've never used it in production and
have found its differences from standard SQL and its management to be
sort of foreign.

If you can't make the switch, you might consider looking at sqsh.org,
where you'll find CLI utility for manipulating sybase databases.  It
supports scripting that perhaps you could tap into through a Web
interface (though it's not a task I'd want to undertake) to build the
tool you need. Probably easier just to use PHP.