[albatross-users] Web-based SQL record editor?

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Tue Oct 26 23:41:10 EST 2004

On Tue, 2004-10-26 at 02:57, Gregory Bond wrote:
> [A bit OT for the Albatross list, but maybe not.]
>
> I'm looking for something that will allow me to easily whip up simple
> web pages to edit/delete/add records to an SQL database.  Ideally, it
> would know enough about Sybase system tables to extract DB schema etc
> itself without a whole heap o configuration.  Ideally, in python to work
> with Albatross, but I'll look at other languages/toolkits.
>
> I can't imagine I'm the first person to ask about this, but an hour or
> two of googling/sourceforge searching only turned up MySQL admin tools.
> Maybe I just don't know what to ask for.

It's going to be harder, since you are looking for a tool to a closed
source database (sybase --> ms sql?).  If you can run either MySQL or
Postgres, the sf.net projects PHPMyAdmin and PHPPgAdmin are very well
written and robust (and very similar to each other).  There also maybe a
port of either of these to Sysbase.  Usally closed source databases
include a gui managment tool (though maybe not web enabled), so there
probably isn't alot of draw to rewrite one.  I'm sure there would be a
few commercial packages for what you are looking for however.

Mike