[albatross-users] Flushing content during page processing

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Mon Mar 15 14:34:07 EST 2004

>I have some very large pages that I will be working with in certain
>circumstances. It involves having a large query set returned from a MySQL
>query and needing to process and display many rows of output.
>
>I'm going to be trying to see if I can use the flush_content() method for
>flushing the output to the browser every few rows or so.
>
>In reference to this statement from the documentation:
>"Does nothing if a content trap stack is in effect,..."
>
>I would guess, that if I have a template for the page (I'm using the random
>page access model), that since the page is basically something along these
>lines:
>
><al-macro name="pagetemplatename">
>
>...other stuff in here...
>
></al-macro>
>
>That the content trap stack will be in effect, in that case? So, I guess I
>either can't use a template that encloses the entire page, or else I can't
>flush bit by bit?

As of about r1_10pre2, this was no longer true, I think, so you should
be okay if you use r1_11pre2 or r1_2_dev_20040203 (but the stable release
1.01 and before use a content trap for macro expansion).

Note, however, that the content trap *is* used for <al-form> content -
this seems a little excessive to me and maybe there's potential to
remove it.