[albatross-users] some architecture questions

Michael C. Neel neel at mediapulse.com
Thu Jul 22 02:54:16 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 12:12, Stan Pinte wrote:

> -1: albatross cannot do database connection pooling, which kills the
> server in a heavy-access situation. (Indeed, it it runs under apache,
> and as apache is not multi-threaded, we cannot share sessions among
> processes).

Albatross is a toolkit, you use what you want built how you want.  It's
no trouble at all to grab dbpool.py and use it with albatross.

Albatross itself has no awareness of a database at all, so this is like
saying "Apache doesn't do database pooling".

> -2: albatross do not handle the "back" button, as it is based on a
> "state machine" for page flow control.

Dependant on how you build you application, and which session scheme you
use.  We use Albatross in all kinds of public sites, where the back
button is just fine.  Remember the http in and of itself is stateless,
so *no* system http based is going to be 100% stateful, they all make
assumptions and trade offs.  The difference with albatross is that you
can choose which method is right for you.

That said, take it out of "theroy" and apply it to real world problems
and there is always a solution for maintaing state, so this really has
less to do with the tool and more to do with the design of the
application.

> Any workarounds for these stuff would be of great interest to me.

Better if you offer up your exact problem to the list, and you'll get
more help.

Mike