[albatross-users] Announcement: Albatross in Debian

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Thu Feb 19 09:34:51 EST 2004

Hello everyone,

I'm very happy to announce that Albatross has finally made its way into
Debian unstable. As I speak, Debian mirrors around the globe are
updating and you should be able to apt-get the package in no more than a
few hours.

Python 2.2 and 2.3 versions are provided, with 2.2 being the default.

Installation

Please refer to the APT documentation on how to add the neccessary lines
for Debian unstable to your sources.list file. Then, you can apt-get
install the following:

python-albatross -- the current default version (choose this if unsure)
python2.2-albatross -- the version for python 2.2
python2.3-albatross -- the version for python 2.3

The packages contains the latest stable version of Albatross (1.10). I'm
preparing to release a newer version as soon as a new stable version is
released.

Reporting Bugs

Please use the Debian Bug Tracking System to report bugs in these
packages. If the bug is in Albatross itself rather than in my packaging,
then consider reporting the issue to Object Craft as well.

Known Bugs

I know that there are some issues with the packages that may be
inconvenient for some people. They don't affect the functionality of
albatross. Please don't report these, they will be fixed in an upcoming
release, or I have decided not to support those features at the moment.
Feel free to discuss them publicly on the mailing list or in private
email to me.

      * There is no python 2.1 version. I don't intend to supply one
        unless there is demand for it. (And then, the only argument that
        I buy would be that you have an existing albatross application
        that uses some feature unique to python 2.1.)
      * There is no documentation package. This is because a known bug
        in the dia diagram drawing program prevents generation of the
        diagrams in the documentation. The bug has recently been fixed,
        but it will take some time before a new, fixed version of dia
        will be available.
      * You will always get the session server and standalone
        application server, and you can enable a system-wide session
        server by editing the defaults file in /etc/defaults/albatross.
        I recently merged the separate session and application server
        packaged back into the main package because they are so small. A
        future version of the packaging may see a different kind of
        split.
      * The test suite is not run at build-time. This will require some
        rather large changes to the test suite to support both python
        2.2 and 2.3. While it would certainly be nice to run the tests
        automatically at build time, I do run them manually and make
        sure they pass before releasing a package.

I hope you will find the Debian packages useful, and I welcome bug
reports, feedback and patches warmly. Finally, thanks to the Object
Craft people for making Albatross!

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net>