[albatross-users] Duplicate cookie mystery solved???

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Fri Sep 12 19:43:15 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 06:27, Sheila King wrote:
> OK, I think I have figured out the situation with this duplicate cookie
> scenario that I've mentioned more than once on this list.
>
> I am using random modular apps with sessionfile sessions.
>
> I have applied Matt Goodall's patch to specifically set the cookie path.
>
> Here is what is happening...
>
> Let's say the full URL to my app is
>
> http://example.com/cgi-bin/myapp.py
>
> and that the start page is "login"
>
> But being the lazy butt that I am, when I go to my app for the first time,
> I don't feel like typing the long version of the URL with the page name
> appended. I know that it will automatically redirect me to the proper start
> page. So I simply enter this:
>
> http://example.com/cgi-bin/myapp.py
>
> Which sets a cookie with this path:
>
> /cgi-bin/

[snip]

> It seems to me, that if the original cookie path were not set to that short
> version, but were always set to the longer verion ending in
> /myapp.py/
>
> that this would resolve the issue.

Well, that's what the patch was supposed to do but it needs to build an
absolute url path similar to AppContext.redirect_url() to work
correctly. Thanks for looking into this Sheila.

I will send another message after this with a patch, just to make sure
Dave spots it more easily.

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd