[albatross-users] al-comment tags

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Sun Oct 19 21:47:56 EST 2003

>>>>> "Sheila" == Sheila King <sheila at thinkspot.net> writes:

Sheila> --On Sunday, October 19, 2003 11:02 AM +0100 Matt Goodall
Sheila> <matt at pollenation.net> wrote:

>> I agree it's a bit strange and I think I remember being caught by
>> this too. However, I suspect it has more to do with keeping the
>> template parser simple than a deliberate decision to enforce
>> correct syntax within comment blocks.

Sheila> I absolutely supposed the above to be true, and did not think
Sheila> I indicated otherwise in my original post. I understand there
Sheila> are design trade-offs in any type of decision such as this
Sheila> one.

Sheila> Nevertheless, I am disappointed that I am unable to use
Sheila> al-comments as *true* comments. I'm not really able to comment
Sheila> on whether this behavior should be changed or not, as I do not
Sheila> understand all of the implications and consequences of the
Sheila> change, except that I'm sure it requires more processing and
Sheila> the code may be more difficult to write and therefore more
Sheila> prone to parsing errors.

All Albatross tags are parsed into a tree like structure before they
are executed.  The al-comment tag only behaves like a comment because
when it executes it does not execute any of the tree nodes below it.

The upshot of this is the tags must still be structured as a tree in
the template.  Think in terms of the Albatross tags forming an XML
syntax (sort of).