[albatross-users] popview example from documentation

Sheila King sheila at thinkspot.net
Tue May 13 12:29:19 EST 2003

Problem Solved. Explanation below...

--On Monday, May 12, 2003 6:40 PM -0700 Sheila King <sheila at thinkspot.net>
wrote:

> --On Monday, May 12, 2003 6:36 PM -0700 Sheila King
> <sheila at thinkspot.net>  wrote:
>
>> --On Tuesday, May 13, 2003 10:35 AM +1000 Andrew McNamara

>>> The trick would be to see what the browser is actually submitting to
>>> albatross. If you look at the Request class in albatross's cgiapp.py,
>>> you'll see it uses Python's cgi.FieldStorage class - you could add some
>>> debug to Request.__init__ to dump the contents of self.__fields to
>>> stderr.
>>
>> I'm working on collecting such information. However, in the meantime,
>> examining the error logs for the site, I see the following error in the
>> error logs:
>>
>> [Mon May 12 21:31:17 2003] [error] [client x.x.x.x] File does not exist:
>> /big/dom/xexample/www/icons/generic.gif
>>
>> I'm guessing that this is why it isn't working. Will stew over it a bit
>> more.

To solve this problem, I simply replaced the image src path/file in the
form tag with an image path/file that actually exists on my server. After
doing this, the application worked properly.

Skimming through the documentation for this example, I do not see any
caution about this problem. Is this something that is obvious and I should
have known? (I did know to adjust the shebang line path to my executable
python binary, and I did know to change the pop host to an actual pop
host.) Since no one mentioned this possibility, it makes me think this is
the first time it has come up on the list. Apparently the 404 error for the
non-existent image file doesn't bother IE at all, but for Mozilla, it
causes the process to fail. Kind of important??

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/