[albatross-users] Exporting non text/html ContentType

francis.meyvis at pandora.be francis.meyvis at pandora.be
Thu Jul 31 17:22:59 EST 2003

Hoi,

Off topic for this list but because you ask ...
I use a free java library for this; please have a look at
http://www.andykhan.com/jexcelapi/
While I only use it for reading,
you can also write into the excel document.

I made a little wrapper around the library
that takes some command line options to
specify the excel document path, sheetname and cell range.
I call this wrapper from within python with its system().

The data is exported in a text file
and python is perfect for parsing this as you know :-)

I never experimented with jython but some claim it is
a perfect bridge between java and python so you
might use this library directly from python.

I wrote the wrapper for my company so I'm afraid
I cannot give it you straight away and at the moment
I've no access to it as I'm not at the company.
But it was written in about a 10 days time
(including testing, documentation and
the python scripts for parsing the text files) anyway
(while I don't know much about java sooo give it
a try yourself).

regards,
francis