[albatross-users] [patch] Another attempt at "fixing" base_url

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Sun Jul 13 12:32:52 EST 2003

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Goodall <matt at pollenation.net> writes:

Matt> Hey, no problem. It was my choice to contribute to the
Matt> project. I thought Albatross looked really useful but saw a
Matt> couple of "gaps" that I needed to fill, mostly for my own
Matt> use. In this case, I didn't consider one of the possibilities
Matt> for base_url so didn't test things fully.

Testing is a hard job.

Matt> Besides, we're not in the open source thing for an easy ride,
Matt> it's about community, creating great software (generally better
Matt> than the commercial offerings) and seeing others make use and
Matt> benefit from the code. The positive comments about my small
Matt> contributions to the project are more than enough payback.

It is a big help.  You see things differently to us in some ways.
This tests our assumptions and makes the code better.

Matt> Yes, a few more comments in the important places would be useful
Matt> (redirect_url is probably a good example) but unit tests are
Matt> probably more important.

In a way we are always playing catchup with documentation.  Comments
are something that I should start to work on too.

Matt> Obviously, there's the interaction with the web server to take
Matt> into account too which is often not easy to test. Having said
Matt> that, I now have a suite of simple test applications using some
Matt> (six, so far) of the standard application classes, each running
Matt> as cgi, fcgi etc. I'm running through these apps manually at the
Matt> moment (very tedious!) but if I can script up that you are
Matt> welcome to suck the suite into Albatross as a final set of
Matt> tests.

That would be excellent.