[albatross-users] [patch] Another attempt at "fixing" base_url

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Sat Jul 12 20:59:52 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 06:04, Dave Cole wrote:
> > Attached is another patch, against stock 1.10pre2, which attempts to
> > make the base_url + httpdapp combination work without breaking
> > everything else ;-).
>
> The pain that goes into a few lines of code.  I am sorry that you have
> suffered so much.

Hey, no problem. It was my choice to contribute to the project. I
thought Albatross looked really useful but saw a couple of "gaps" that I
needed to fill, mostly for my own use. In this case, I didn't consider
one of the possibilities for base_url so didn't test things fully.

Besides, we're not in the open source thing for an easy ride, it's about
community, creating great software (generally better than the commercial
offerings) and seeing others make use and benefit from the code. The
positive comments about my small contributions to the project are more
than enough payback.

/matt steps down from his soapbox ;-)

> It really highlights a large shortcoming in the
> current code - comments.

Yes, a few more comments in the important places would be useful
(redirect_url is probably a good example) but unit tests are probably
more important.

Obviously, there's the interaction with the web server to take into
account too which is often not easy to test. Having said that, I now
have a suite of simple test applications using some (six, so far) of the
standard application classes, each running as cgi, fcgi etc. I'm running
through these apps manually at the moment (very tedious!) but if I can
script up that you are welcome to suck the suite into Albatross as a
final set of tests.

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd