base_url discovery (was Re: [albatross-users] Upgrade problems to albatross 1.10pre2)

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Sat Jul 12 13:58:13 EST 2003

>>>>> "Matt" == Matt Goodall <matt at pollenation.net> writes:

Matt> On Wed, 2003-07-09 at 14:04, Dave Cole wrote:
>> I have been wondering if it is possible for the application to
>> discover the base_url from the web server.  It certainly is using
>> CGI, so probably is with FastCGI too,

Matt> As you pointed out, neither of these should be a problem.

>> but I am not so sure about mod_python.

Matt> The problem with this is the one I hit the other day when using
Matt> mod_rewrite. The uri that Albatross sees is the rewritten uri
Matt> which can be completely different to what is typed into the
Matt> browser url bar.

That probably means that it will be very hard to remove base_url.
Into the too hard basket.

Matt> Having said that, mod_python has req.the_request which is the
Matt> http request header, i.e. 'GET /~matt/simple/app.py/1/2/3
Matt> HTTP/1.1'. We may be able to make use of that but I haven't
Matt> looked into it anymore.

>> I am certain the BaseHTTPServer cannot supply enough information.

Matt> No, but it probably doesn't need to as the application is always
Matt> mounted at '/'.

True.