[albatross-users] more data tricks for the wiki

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Sun Jul 6 23:35:33 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 02:30, Dave Cole wrote:

> >> Maybe a better way to do this would be to place all of the
> >> information required for pagination into the browser request.  This
> >> would result in output that looked something like this

> >> <input type="submit" name="goto,i,20">
> >>
> >> The nice outcome of this would be that we do not need to save
> >> anything in the session anymore.  It would also allow you to
> >> bookmark specific pages in an application.
>
> Matt> I was thinking of implementing this just the other day although
> Matt> my reason for wanting purely request based paging was that
> Matt> clicking the next page link and then using the browser's refresh
> Matt> button makes the ListIterator jump forward another page.
>
> Matt> My only thought so far on this matter is to add a scope
> Matt> attribute to the <al-for> tag whose default value is "session",
> Matt> "request" being the other choice.
>
> I think that the "goto,i,n" form is superior.  Makes me wonder why I
> didn't think of it to begin with.  If the goto form was available I
> cannot think of any reason why you would want the current "nextpage,i"
> form.
>
> - Dave

Yes, I completely agree although that was not clear from my post. In
general, relative page navigation does not work well with the browser
navigation buttons. The combination of absolute page navigation
(goto,i,n) and keeping the state in the page/request works much better.
In fact, the less the session is used for anything that affects page
navigation the better.

I guess if I really wanted to keep my page position in the session I
could put it there myself quite easily.

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd