[albatross-users] Installing multiple copies of Albatross

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Fri Jul 4 09:09:46 EST 2003

> Draging this up again to see if anyone has any ideas here, this is
> keeping me from playing with new versions of Albatross atm :/

2 ideas of the top of my not-yet-caffeine-enhanced head:

- install 1.10 in the usual site-python dir but with another name.  This would
mean changing the apps to say "from albatross110 import ..." but the rest orta
work OK provided Dave has been careful in his internal imports.

<guick grep>

No, the Albatross code is full of references to "from albatross.module import"
so you'll need to change them, too.  You should be able to change this to just
"from module import " and the Python module path hacking will DTRT.

Dave: you might consider making Albatross not use the "albatross" name
internally so tricks like this work.

- Install 1.10 into another site-python directory and add that dir to the front
of the search path for applications which are converted.  Details depend on
your deployment platform, but you could hack sys.path in the script, or set
environment variables for your web server, or whatever.