[albatross-users] Renaming application and execution context classes

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Tue Jul 1 20:30:26 EST 2003

Matt> Michael C. Neel wrote:
>> I won't admit how long I used hungarian notation...

Matt> Shudder. ;-)

When I was learning how to be a Windows programmer in the 3.0 days I
gave hungarian notation a try.  What I found was that I spent way too
much time trying to work out the correct notation for a type that
actually naming the variable.  It never stuck in my mind.  It was much
later that I formed an opinion about the notation.

Funny story:

Around 1990 on one contract I worked on a system of around 200k lines
of Pascal.  It made heavy use of hungarian notation.  People were
constantly complaining that the use of notation and abbreviations was
not consistent.

After a while I became so sick of tripping over the inconsistent
naming that I wrote a program to parse the entire code base and build
a global symbol table.  The program gave you the ability to
interactively browse all of the symbols and show you where they were
used.  You could then globally rename symbols.

After getting the program working I went through and renamed hundreds
of symbols in a matter of hours.  The result was still hungarian
notation, but at least most of the abbreviations were consistent.