[albatross-users] Re: Albatross-users digest, Vol 1 #176 - 14 msgs

Cameron Blackwood korg at darkqueen.org
Tue Jul 1 11:09:48 EST 2003

From: Dave Cole <djc at object-craft.com.au>:

  | Matt> On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 10:42, Dave Cole wrote:
  | >> I am at the end of the largest outstanding documentation task - the
  | >> tag reference.  Now would be a good time to hit me with issues
  | >> before I launch into another task.
  |
  | Matt> Is that a hint? ;-)
  |
  | Maybe...

Now I feel silly for commenting on the docs. :-/

From: "Michael C. Neel" <neel at mediapulse.com>:
  | From: Dave Cole [mailto:djc at object-craft.com.au]=20
  |      > Subject: Re: [albatross-users] New tag reference
  | =20
  | http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/tag-input-ge
  | neric.html

        if user:
            ctx.locals._user = user
            ctx.add_session_vars('_user')
                                  ^
                             remove the '_' ??

  | =20
  | http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/tag-input-im
  | age.html

Oooooh, nifty!!

So, having said I feel stoopid for commenting on the docs...  I notice
that the page renders as:

  <al-input type="image" nextpage="m" srcicons/right.gif" whitespace>
                                      ^
                                 missing " again.

  | =20
  | http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/tag-input-fi
  | le.html

   "a flag indicating whether or not the list (5.2.2.4) attribute was
   present."

is directly followed by:

   "The request merging allows the user to submit more than one file in a
   file input field. To simplify application code the Request always
   returns a list of FileField objects for file inputs"

So, 'request merging' allows submitting more than one file in a single
al-imput, but the list attribute allows for multiple al-inputs of the
same name? ??

It seems unclear.

From: "Eric S. Johansson" <esj at harvee.org>:
  | Subject: Re: [albatross-users] Renaming application and execution context
  |  classes
  |

  | To me, simple context is far more descriptive of what the class does than
  | template context.  This is more apparent when you contrast simple applicati
  | on
  | versus client session page object application.

I didnt find it so as a newbie. I thought simple applied to the
complexity of the object, not how the data was stored.

That could be because Im dumb tho :) :) :)

  | On a personal note, I find StudleyCaps quite disturbing.  In 1994 after bei
  | ng a
[...]
  | again, this is a long-winded way of saying that ordinary_words
  | separated_by_the_underscore_character is preferable to me and that I subscr
  | ibe

Im with you there, man. :)

Long descriptive names and '_'s up the whazoo for me :)

I want going to comment because I didnt write albatross, so I didnt
feel that I could comment on coding style, but now you mention it...

Now, if we cant use generic classes with initiators like:
   Context(storage=Albatross.file)
then Id vote for

 2| SimpleContext                   Context_stored_nowhere(?)
                                    Context_no_store(?)
 2| AppContext
 2|
 2| SimpleAppContext                Context_stored_client
 2| SessionAppContext               Context_stored_server_process
 2| SessionFileAppContext           Context_stored_server_file

(note, typing this, was suddenly unsure of SessionAppContext again,
before I worked out which one it was by process of elimination. Id
argue that the name isnt immediatly obvious, so renaming would be
helpful)

And the same but longer for the Apps (although again, Id prefer
the app not to need to know how the context was stored, but maybe
thats just me).

--
 / `Rev Dr'   cam  at darkqueen.org            Roleplaying, virtual goth \
<   http://darkqueen.org        Poly, *nix, Python, C/C++, genetics, ATM  >