[albatross-users] al-values inside al-input

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Fri Jan 31 10:16:17 EST 2003

> Hi, I currently have this bit of code in one of my templates:
>     <al-input name="username" size="30" value="<al-value expr='username'>">

> It doesn't seem to work.  Instead of displaying the value of
> 'username' inside the field, it instead displayes <al-value
> expr='username'>.  Is there anyway to work around this?  It worked
> before when I used regular input tags, rather than al-input, but I'd
> rather use al-input.

The problem is that you cannot use Albatross tags to construct other
Albatross tags.

Why?

That was a design decision which was taken to reduce the complexity of
the template parser and template execution code.

Was that a good decision?

I don't really know.  It was just one of many decisions that was made
when building Albatross.  I am not even sure that fixing this
limitation would be a good thing.  Imagine the nasty templates you
could build if the limitation were removed.