[albatross-users] Macro and links?

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Thu Aug 14 16:59:59 EST 2003

> OK, so Macros are really stupid and are for text only, right...

Well, they are designed for producing/manipulating HTML, so yes they are "text
only" (for some value of "text").  Does this make them "really stupid"?  I
don't think so.

There are two things happening here:

 - al-value takes a python expression, evaluates it, and returns the result as
   a string.  That's what al-value is for, and I cannot imagine what else it
   could possibly return. This example the expr returns a tuple, so
   al-value turns it into a string using str(). The result is
   "('12312','(12312)')"

 - Albatross is then being kind and doing HTML escaping on the result
   (&#39 is the HTML way of specifying the single quote); you can turn this
   off with the noescape parameter to <al-value> if you don't like it.

I can't imagine what you expected this code fragment to produce if the above
behaviour is considered broken.