[albatross-users] Request for pre-specification enlightenment

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Fri Aug 8 19:17:52 EST 2003

Max Romantschuk wrote:

>Quoting Matt Goodall <matt at pollenation.net>:
>

>>Just a thought but, depending on how integrated you want the site- and
>>admin-view parts to be, you *might* want to think about creating two,
>>distinct applications. Obviously, they can share common modules.
>>Whatever you think of that idea ...
>>

>I probably will do just that. An interface oprimized for editing usually looks
>ugly, and vice versa.

That's very true but Albatross does not place any restrictions on how
your site should look and feel so you could probably work around any issues.

I was actually thinking more from an application architecture point of
view. It's quite common to have different authentication and session
management requirements for the site- and admin- views; sometimes the
site navigation for the two parts is completely different; sometimes the
application parts live at different URLs; sometimes the only connection
between the site- and admin-view is the data.

However, for a wiki style application splitting the application into two
would be the wrong thing to do.

<snip>

>>I would not recommend trying to implement a full CMS in Albatross, or
>>anything else for that matter, when something like Zope
>>(http:///www.zope.org) is available. Although, Albatross is more fun and
>>**considerably** more light weight.
>>

>Yes. I tried Zope, but found that it was just too huge and not quite as stable
>as I wished for. I guess there are just too many moving parts to get your head
>around with only so much free time to spare.

I'm surprised you didn't find Zope stable enough. I haven't used it for
about 18 months now but I didn't have much trouble with it. The learning
curve is quite steep at first though.

>>>Now then... bring on the hailstorm of bashing please.
>>>

>>Oh right, why didn't you say so earlier! What a ridiculous idea for an
>>application this is! You come in here asking for guidance, even daring
>>to use the letters P, H & P together and you expect us to jump in and
>>help. Ahem ... will that do? :)
>>

>I laugh at your puny attempts to ridicule me. Hah!
>
>(todo: insert joke about herring slapping)

Phew, I'm glad to took that as the humour as intended. I posted it and
thought, "oh no, what if it's taken the wrong way". ;-)

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
w: http://www.pollenationinternet.com