[albatross-users] pagination question

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Wed Apr 2 11:06:19 EST 2003

>> 9 - 16).  Then I use my browsers "Back" button to return my category
>> listing page.
>
>This is your problem!
>
>Stateful applications (where the state is maintained at the server, i.e.
>Albatross SessionServer or SessionFile mixins) tend to break badly with the use
>of back buttons.  This is because the back button doesn't contact the server,
>it just shows the previous page, so what the user is seeing on the screen
>doesn't match where the application thinks it is up to.[...]

The only option I can think of is to keep multiple versions of the state
and include a version number in each request. This gives you an effect
like that of hidden field sessions, and is probably enough in 90% of
applications, but doesn't fully solve the problem. It might be possible
to give the application enough information to allow it to make sensible
choices when the user backtracks (or forks their browser).