[albatross-users] Albatross 1.0 manual, US Letter

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sat Oct 19 12:21:52 EST 2002

Tom Emerson wrote:

> Like some others on the list, I have not been able to print the PDF
> version of the (excellent) Albatross manual on the Object Craft
> website. I recall reading someone say it is a problem with pdflatex.

Yes, the problem is that the PostScript emitted by pdflatex produces
a PDF which crashes Acrobat 5 (but not earlier versions) when
GhostScript
is used to create the PDF.

> Since I really want a hard copy of this, I generated my own PDF by
> first generating a PostScript version of the manual directly using
> mkhowto, sized to US Letter. Then I converted it to PDF using Acrobat
> Distiller 5. I was able to print this just fine on my Windows XP Pro
> box, and I can read it without a hitch in Reader 5 on my FreeBSD machine.

The OC guys sent me a Postscript version of the manual and I was also
able to create an A4 version with Acrobat Distiller 5 which then printed
without crashing.

Tim C