[albatross-users] Session management how-to?

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Fri Jun 28 11:22:17 EST 2002

>>>>> "Dave" == Dave Kuhlman <dkuhlman at cutter.rexx.com> writes:

Dave> On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 07:47:43PM +1000, Dave Cole wrote:
>>  > I'm also writing up a few notes, as I learn things, on how-to do
>> > things in Albatross.  I've attached what I've done so far below.
>> > This is preliminary, needless to say; I'm still learning
>> Albatross.  > But, if you you have any comments, I'm interested.
>> And, if you > should feel that this would be of use to other
>> Albatross users > (after a bit more work, of course), let me know.
>>
>> This is enormously valuable.  We are not able to do this as we are
>> all too close to the code now.

Dave> Thanks for comments and encouragement.

Dave> If you do decide to use it, let me know and I'll try to help
Dave> with converting it to your source format.  You use LaTeX2HTML,
Dave> and I've used LaTeX/TeX only briefly, so this would be a good
Dave> learning experience for me.

The pain is mostly worth it.  Of all the options for documentation I
feel it is the least bad.  :-)

>>  Small correction; SimpleSessionFileApp and SessionFileAppContext
>> saves sessions in the file system while SimpleSessionApp and
>> SessionAppContext save sessions in the session server via TCP
>> socket.

Dave> Not sure that I understand this, but I added it to the doc.

If you open two browser windows and compare the following pages it
should be a little clearer (look at the diagrams).

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/pack-sessappcontext.html
    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/pack-sessfileappcontext.html

The only difference between SessionFileAppContext and
SessionAppContext is the mixin class which handles the loading and
storing of sessions.  Looking at the documentation for those mixin
classes:

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/mixin-ctx-file-sess.html
    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/mixin-ctx-sess.html

you can see that one of them talks to the session server while the
other uses the local file store.

A major goal in Albatross was to allow users to extend and replace
functionality which did not suit them while retaining that which did.
They way that this achieved was through a set of classes which were
designed to be mixed together.

Chapter 7 (Mixin Class Reference) of the manual is organised by mixin
class.  In each mixin class section is a description of each variant
of that mixin class.  For example section 7.6 describes the
SessionContextMixin class of mixin.

    http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/albatross/mixin-ctxsession.html

In section 7.6 are all of the actual mixins which you can use for that
function.

The intention of Albatross is that you can add your own mixins to the
set and then combine them in interesting ways to go beyond the
offerings in chapter 8 (Prepackaged Application and Execution Context
Classes).