[albatross-users] Albatross

Dave Cole djc at object-craft.com.au
Tue Aug 27 10:00:10 EST 2002

>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Rembach <mxr at itga.com.au> writes:

Michael> Hi Andrew, That is exactly what I mean.

>> >Can you explain what you mean by "tabbed notebook"?  If you can
>> >supply a URL to an example that would probably be best.
>>
>> I suspect he means tabbed like google's
>> "Web/Images/Groups/Directory" line. I think this would be doable,
>> although it's not functionality that is built into Albatross.

Ben had a different idea - he said that Michael might have being
referring to the fact that the pagination is currently only able to do
prev/next page.

The reason for only looking one page ahead is to avoid having to
retrieve all elements from a sequence in order to count the length of
the sequence.  Some sequences (like database cursors) are not able to
provide a length - so determining the length can take a long time.

Thinking out loud:

It occurs to me that we might be able to extend the ListIterator and
<al-for> tag to allow it to handle sequences where the length is
known.  In these cases it would be possible to provide a sequence of
page bookmarks (via the ListIterator).  The page bookmark sequence
could be iterated over to display URL's which jump to specific pages.
A bit like the page URL's on google search results.