[python-sybase] Python Module and Sybase

Bobby Pejman bpejman at gmail.com
Wed May 30 09:53:48 EST 2007

Hi all,

I'm running into a small problem while trying to import Sybase module in
python.  I've downloaded and installed FreeTDS v0.64 and python-sybase
v0.38on my Ubuntu.  I followed other posts and did the following:

=> FreeTDS:
# ./configure --disable-odbc --disable-libiconv
--enable-sybase-compat --prefix=/usr/local/freetds
    # make; make install; make clean

=> Sybase python module
    # export SYBASE=/usr/local/freetds
    # python setup.py build_ext -D HAVE_FREETDS

However, when I try to import the Sybase module in Python v2.5.1, I'm
getting the following error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/Sybase.py", line 10, in ?
    from sybasect import *
ImportError: libct.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

I have also added "include /usr/local/freetds/lib" to "/etc/ld.so.conf" and
running "ldconfig" AND
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib python -ic "import Sybase" but still no
luck.

Can anyone help me out?  Am I missing something?  I see that the file
libct.so.4 is under /usr/local/freetds/lib directory but I don't know how to
make python realize it's there.  I think it's a library linking issue.

Any help will be much appreciated!!! Thanks everyone.