[python-sybase] Coredumps with Python 2.5 / Solaris 10

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Fri Oct 20 12:46:35 EST 2006

I'm really struggling with making the 0.37 module work with Python 2.5.  I'm
getting some SIGSEGVs buried deep in the Python core, usually in the
realloc/free calls, in all sorts of internal Python objects (e.g.
PyList_Append(), PyDict_SetItem() etc) that really orta be very well tested
and debugged!

If I configure Python with either --with-pydebug or --without--pymalloc
options (i.e. Changing the way objects/mallocs work) then the resulting
Python version works fine with the Sybase module.  SunPro or GCC compiled,
both fail.

Python 2.4.4 works fine with no special config options.

All of which is telling me something is corrupting heap memory.  Some notes
in the 2.5 release notes indicate the memory mgmt for C extensions has been
altered but as far as I can see, the sybase module doesn't use tiehr the
PyMem_Malloc or PyObject_Malloc calls discussed there.

Has anyone else succeeded in using the Sybase module with Python 2.5?

Sparc / Solaris 10
Sybase 12_5_3 libraries