[python-sybase] cs_dt_info symbol undefined

J.Hubbs jhubbs at dialogmedical.com
Sat Oct 29 06:43:09 EST 2005

I'm trying to make queries against a remote MS SQL Server from Python 2.4.2 on
Gentoo Linux and I understand (for good or ill) that the Sybase module for
Python is an effective and non-instrusive (as far as the server side goes)
way to do that.

I have installed FreeTDS 0.62.3 via Gentoo ebuild and I re-emerged python
with the freetds and sybase USE flags included.

I installed the Sybase module for Python as follows, as per
http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/sybase/install.html:

  python setup.py build_ext -D HAVE_FREETDS=62 -U WANT_BULKCOPY
  python setup.py install

Yet, I get this when I try to "import Sybase" in Python:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/Sybase.py", line 20, in ?
    from sybasect import *
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/sybasect.so: undefined
symbol: cs_dt_info

I've looked at http://tinyurl.com/blvms in in hopes of finding this problem's
solution but the only thing I've been able to really mess with is the setting
of the SYBASE environment variable, which I determined I should set to
/opt/sybase/OCS-15_0, which contains

bin  config  devlib  include  lib  lib3p  sample  scripts  sybhelp  xappdefaults

I installed Sybase Express Edition for Linux in hopes of obtaining this libcs
library, which didn't happen - it's nowhere to be found.

Is there a way to untangle all this, or would I be better off going an ODBC
route?

Thanks,
Jeff