[python-sybase] Re: cs_dt_info symbol undefined

J.Hubbs jhubbs at dialogmedical.com
Tue Nov 1 01:50:43 EST 2005

Sébastien -

Sébastien Arnaud <arnaudsj <at> emedialibrary.org> writes:

> Hi Jeff,
>
> I encountered somehow the same type of errors in the past on a Gentoo
> Server. The problem is that I can't seem to remember exactly what did
> it. I actually reinstalled the Sybase python module just a few days
> ago, right after upgrading from python 2.3.5 to python 2.4.2 and I
> had no issue at all...
>
> Are you under x86 Gentoo?

Yes.

> A few things I would try would be to make
> sure to set the SYBASE var to /usr and try without -U WANT_BULKCOPY.

I tried these both together and independently.  The "python setup.py..."
commands just respond with "running build_ext" and stop with no other info
given.  No change when trying to "import Sybase" from python.

I also noted what it said at the bottom of
http://www.freetds.org/userguide/envvar.htm where it says

     When you're done, you should see something very like this:

          $ ls $SYBASE
          etc include interfaces lib

In searching around, I simply had no place like this.  /opt/sybase had
"interfaces" but "include" and "lib" were under "/opt/sybase/OCS-15_0".  I tried
symlinking those last two up a level so that /opt/sybase looked kind of right,
set SYBASE to that, and tried to resintall the Sybase module, but no improvement.

> Also you might want to check if your FreeTDS install is working
> correctly by running a quick test using the command line tool tsql.

I've seen the man page for tsql and all, but I'm unclear on what to point it at
to test it.  I suffer from a lack of "big picture" docs.

> Finally, you did not specify which version you tried to install. I
> believe 0.36 is the one I have installed.

It's 0.37.

> Hope this helps.
>
> Sébastien

I very much appreciate your trying.