[python-sybase] Sybase 12.5, Solaris and blk_alloc

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 13:20:20 +1100

>> John - did the "symbol not found" error occur on the same machine as you
>> built the module?
>
>Yes.

I ask, because the error you reported doesn't say the library wasn't
found, but rather that a symbol within the library wasn't found - which
suggests to me that it found a library, but it was the wrong one. Is there
any chance there's the ditritus from an old Sybase install on the machine?

>>  My immediate thought would be a different library is
>> being found at run-time compared to what setup.py sees (but this is just a
>> guess).
>
>We should just need SYBASE set properly in the environment, right? (and
>SYBASE_OCS, but I guess that's not the problem)  I thought I'd done that
>right, but I can't swear to it.

Uh - that would imply something somewhere was smart enough to use the
variable to set the run-time library search path on the resulting shared
library. Without something that fills the role of apache's apxs, this
probably won't happen.

As Jeff Younker suggests, try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include the
sybase lib directory and see if that helps. If it does, then you can try
playing games with distutil to get the right -R option passed through
to the linker, or just live with LD_LIBRARY_PATH (most people do the
later... 8-)

>> Andrew McNamara, Senior Developer, Object Craft
>
>Oh, hi again Andrew :-)  I thought I recognized your name from
>somewhere...

Freaky. Small world. 8-)