[python-sybase] Segentation faults when connecting to SQL Server 2000

Kevin Jacobs jacobs at penguin.theopalgroup.com
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 17:08:34 -0400 (EDT)

On 9 Sep 2002, Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> I'm trying to use the Sybase module from a Debian Linux 3.0 system
> (Python 2.1.3, FreeTDS 0.53).
>
> I've set up some Python code in order to create ASCII file containing
> the database scheme, functions and stored procedures. The code runs fine
> when connecting through ODBC from a Windows computer. It crashes when
> connecting from the Linux client, as soon as the 2nd query is run.
>
> Has there already been some work done on it, both from the FreeTDS side
> (version  0.60rc1 came out these days, should I install it?) and the
> Sybase module side. Can I help in debugging the problem?

All I can suggest is that you use the _very_ lastest FreeTDS library.  The
last released version had some rather nasty bugs in it.

> As soon as I have again the chance to connect to the  SQL Server (it's
> at a customers place) I will paste you the exact message (something
> about threads and relesing a lock that has not been set).

Ah!  I've run into this myself.  I'll dig up my patches that re-work the
Sybase module locking code that fixes it (though I'm not sure if I'm just
working around errors in the FreeTDS LibCT implementation or unsafe
assumptions that David Cole made about Sybase's implementation).

-Kevin

--
Kevin Jacobs
The OPAL Group - Enterprise Systems Architect