[python-sybase] installation problem of the Sybase module

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Wed, 03 Apr 2002 13:08:16 +1000

>Forgot to mention an installation/build problem with the Sybase module.
>On Linux Mandrake 8.1 + some patches, Python 2.2,  the module linked with
>libintl.so from Sybase.  But at runtime it picked up the library from
>/usr/lib, which is of course not the Sybase lib, even if has the same name.
>
>My workaround for the above was to create a symlink libsybintl.so ->
>libintl.so in the sybase lib directory, and tweak the setup.py to use
>libsybintl.so.

Hmm. Maybe setting an LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable including
the Sybase library directory would allow you to run your application
without the symlink (man ld.so)?

The Solaris linker allows the application builder to set the directories
that will be searched at run-time with the "-R" option.  Opinion is split
over whether this is "a good thing", but it's handy in cases like this. I
don't know of a linux equivilent (-R means something else to GNU ld).