[albatross-users] ALbatross 1.33

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Wed Jun 28 09:34:02 EST 2006

>>Sorry to bother you again. I've gotten further this time, seems I'm missing
>>somthing but not sure what.
>>

>> /bin/su -l albatross -s /bin/sh -c "/usr/local/src/bin/al-session-daemon
>>--pidfile=/var/log/albatross/al-session-daemon.pid
>>--log=/var/log/albatross/al-session-daemon.log start"
>>
>>Traceback (most recent call last):
>>  File "/usr/local/src/bin/al-session-daemon", line 26, in ?
>>    from albatross import simpleserver
>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/albatross/__init__.py", line 9, in
>>?
>>    from albatross.context import *
>>  File "/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/albatross/context.py", line 12, in
>>?
>>    import cPickle
>>ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.3/lib-dynload/cPickle.so: undefined symbol:
>>PyUnicodeUCS4_AsUTF8String
>
>This means your python installation is broken in some way (probably bad
>shared library path). I'm a little reluctant to suggest too much here -
>I'm assuming you're using a RedHat system, and they require a specific
>version of python installed and working for their system management tools,
>and inadvertently breaking that python install will render your machine
>largely unmanageable.

I came across a good explanation for this specific error yesterday.
It means you've tried to load a module compiled against a UCS4 python
into a UCS2 python.

Internally, python uses either a 16 bit or 32 bit representation for
unicode strings, called UCS2 and UCS4 respectively. This is decided at
compile time, and the default (and by far most common) option is UCS2.

The offending module may well not be cPickle, but something that cPickle
had to import to unpickle the context.