[albatross-users] XML and Albatross templates?

Andrew McNamara andrewm at object-craft.com.au
Thu May 5 14:03:31 EST 2005

>I forget how it goes off the top of my head, but investigate the Jakarta
>Struts logic tag library.  I know there is an if/then/else type tag
>structure, and I'm relatively certain it's valid XML.

This sort of thing?

  <logic:if name="calendarBean" property="month" op="equal" value="January" >
    <logic:or name="calendarBean" property="year" op="LessEqual" value="1999"/>
    <logic:or name="calendarBean" property="day" op="equal" value="Monday"/>

    <logic:then>
      At least one of the above conditions is true.
    </logic:then>

    <logic:else>
      All of Above conditions are false
    </logic:else>
  </logic:if>

I suspect something like the following is closer to the spirit of the
current Albatross code:

  <al-if expr="...">
    abc
    <al-elif expr="...">
      def
    </al-elif>
    <al-elif expr="...">
      ghi
    </al-elif>
    <al-else>
      jkl
    </al-else>
  </al-if>

But I don't see that as any sort of improvement over the <al-lookup>
suggestion. And the parser currently only has the concept of empty or
containing elements - this would require (for backward compatability)
support for containing elements with optional close tag (as HTML has).

>The "anytag" scheme looks sweet, count me in.

It's there now in the dev snapshot - feedback, gotchyas, etc gratefully
received.