[albatross-users] Albatross development preview 1.2-dev-20040114

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Sun Jan 25 10:30:40 EST 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 08:05, Andrew McNamara wrote:
> A development preview snapshot is now available:
>
>     http://www.object-craft.com.au/projects/albatross/download/albatross-1.2-dev-20040114.tar.gz

Thanks Andrew. It's great to have the list of changes too.

[snip]

> 	* albatross/app.py, test/misc/__init__.py: Fixes to redirect_url()
> 	suggested by Sheila King and Michael Neel, and some associated
> 	tests.

I reread the thread this change came from, and I should probably have
picked up on this sooner, but the Location HTTP response header should
be a *full* URL, see
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec14.html#sec14.30.

I think there are some browsers that have difficulty with partial URLs
and I also understand that Apache can "intercept" a partial URL and do
an internal redirect which is probably not a good idea. I can't find
proof for either of those statements but the partial URL certainly
breaks my app's redirects (using SCGI).

I guess the fix is to add a get_scheme() (protocol?) method to the
Request classes to find out whether it's HTTP or HTTPS. That way we have
get_scheme(), get_servername(), get_uri() and the absolute URL which
should make it possible to build a full URL from just about anything.

I've got a workaround for the redirect problem so I will run with this
release and see what happens.

Cheers, Matt

--
Matt Goodall, Pollenation Internet Ltd
w: http://www.pollenation.net
e: matt at pollenation.net

Any views expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect
the views of my employer.