[albatross-users] Plans for next release?

Fabian Fagerholm fabbe at paniq.net
Fri Aug 6 17:01:56 EST 2004

On Thu, 2004-08-05 at 18:01 -0400, Michael C. Neel wrote:
> To Dave, yes it will be/is an open source license.  We wouldn't change
> that, and we'll either just do a BSD-style template license or use the
> Python Software Foundation License, if only for the added feature that
> it's listed on opensource.org as a blessed open source license.  ATM I'm
> looking at the details of the second (I'm familiar with how to go about
> the first).

May I suggest the following:
      * If you consider the BSD license, the X11 (aka. MIT) license is
        simpler, equivalent, and less prone to problems. In any case,
        the "modified BSD license" (without the advertising clause) is
        certainly more welcome than the old one.
      * If you consider the PSF license, make sure you use the most
        recent version. Certain older versions have a number of
        problems.
      * If you can, consider the GPL or LGPL.

I'm not a lawyer, and I don't mean to provoke, but my own experience and
that shared by others suggests that these are points worth considering.

> I'll step in here and say though mediapulse can take care of getting the
> server and details though something like sourceforge, which is pretty
> much what we would have done anyway.  That will give us a public base
> for a bug system, mailing lists, homepage, cvs server, downloads, etc.
> I know from first hand experience sf's servers are sometimes a pain to
> deal with (and down at the worst times for a developer, lol), but they
> do support a great number of projects that cope so we could too.

An alternative to SourceForge is Debian's Alioth, which uses the Gforge
software in use at SourceForge. Alioth has less projects and thus less
load, but it may be too unpolished for this use. It's run by volunteers,
so response times to bug reports may vary. Look at
http://alioth.debian.org/

Cheers,
--
Fabian Fagerholm <fabbe at paniq.net>