[albatross-users] albatross installation

Francis Meyvis francis.meyvis at sonycom.com
Wed Sep 24 16:00:10 EST 2003

Hello,

> Sheila> Dave, thanks for the tip below. I'm SURPISED it is that
> Sheila> simple, because...  I've looked in the archives for assistance
> Sheila> on this topic and found nowhere such a simple solution.
>
> I didn't know about it until 15 minutes before I wrote the email :-).
>
> All I did was
>
> $ python setup.py install --help

I unpack the tar.gz file and simply copy the  contents of albatross to
my_project/lib/albatross

and the top of the main my_project.py source file that
is called from the HTTP server's CGI engine typically looks like this

#!/usr/bin/python
import sys
sys.path.append('lib')

so that an import albatross further down in the source succeeds.
This is a quick and dirty way:
- to check whether your sources work with the latest albatross version.
- if you don't have the rights on UNIX to add things to the standard python installation
   (that's also my case).
- make sure your project is always linked to that specific albatross version
   it was implemented for.

Ok you have to python-compile this stuff in albatross manually :-(
(I most of the time forget to do this of course :-(

regards,
francis