[albatross-users] New release?

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Sun Sep 21 08:05:32 EST 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 07:52, Matt Goodall wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-09-20 at 22:14, Tim Churches wrote:
> > I agree. There is now a sufficiently large installed base of Albatross
> > apps that serious consideration needs to be given to backwards
> > compatibility. If new features are introduced, they need to have new
> > names, and the old ones need to be retained with their original names -
> > possibly marked as deprecated, but still retained so that existing apps
> > don't break. Just like Python, which has achieved a remarkable level of
> > backwards compatibility (not perfect, but very good, with excellent
> > signposting of future breakage).
>
> I completely agree but, just to clarify, we're not talking about a new
> feature here.
>
> I found a potentially serious problem with the page module loader where
> entries in sys.modules can get overwritten. As you can imagine, that
> causes some seriously strange problems ;-). See
> http://www.object-craft.com.au/pipermail/albatross-users/2003-August/000826.html.

Yup. Thanks to your subsequent post, both Sheila and I now better
understand what you are talking about, and we are much more relaxed
about the proposed change/fix.
--

Tim C

PGP/GnuPG Key 1024D/EAF993D0 available from keyservers everywhere
or at http://members.optushome.com.au/tchur/pubkey.asc
Key fingerprint = 8C22 BF76 33BA B3B5 1D5B  EB37 7891 46A9 EAF9 93D0