[albatross-users] States... how to go around...

Gregory Bond gnb at itga.com.au
Wed Nov 5 09:11:49 EST 2003

> Of course, I did something wrong and wants to go back with my "Back"
> button in my browser. It looks like I go back, but the server gives me
> all the functinality of the second page (it looks like I'm still in the
> second page, but se the first page)... What do i need to do to get this
> working proparly...

Short answer - you can't.  This is a problem of the whole WWW architecture and
server-side sessions, not of albatross or any other toolkit.

The Back button on the browser is local only - it redisplays the previous page
but never tells the server that it has happened.  So the server state still
thinks you are on the new page, so you get the sort of problems you see.

Using client-side sessions will not have this problem (as bad... other
problems still crop up though)

The answer for me was to teach the users "don't use the back button" and make
sure the application had lots of good nav functionality so the back button
wasn't needed.  Easy for me, when the number of users can be counted on one
hand, not so easy if you have lots of users!  With a bit of work in javascript
it is apparently  also possible to remove the back button, but I didn't bother
with that.