[albatross-users] Authentication/Login example for RandomModules

Matt Goodall matt at pollenation.net
Sun May 25 11:40:13 EST 2003

On Sat, 2003-05-24 at 16:56, Sheila King wrote:
> --On Thursday, May 22, 2003 4:21 PM +0100 Matt Goodall
> <matt at pollenation.net> wrote:

> > I guess the only real criticism I have is that it doesn't cover random
> > apps in as much detail as stateful. I've had to dive into the code quite
> > a few times to make sure I understood what's going on, especially
> > regarding the page lifecycle. I realise stateful is the main focus for
> > Albatross but the random app mode is critical for public facing sites
> > where bookmarking pages must be possible.
>
> Yes, this is why I *have* to use a RandomPage application. I'm making an
> account manager of sorts which clients will be using. Our experience on the
> support desk indicates that when giving clients directions (which are always
> sent via email) on how to accomplish certain web-related tasks, that we
> MUST be able to provide URLs that take them directly to the pages where
> the directions apply. Otherwise, there is too much confusion.

Actually, thnking about this properly I realise that the _real_ reason
that I am interested in random apps is that they are search engine
friendly. The ability to bookmark a page is a useful side effect.

If/when I get to use Albatross for a client's site I plan to use both
modes: random for the public site and stateful for the administrative
back end (where state if often more important than search engines and
bookmarking).

> > I haven't looked at Sheila's app yet (there's never enough time is
> > there!).
> >
> > I've actually got a small(ish) test aplication where I've been
> > experimenting with using various aspects of Albatross. In particular it
> > does:
> >
> >       * Simple loops, where the CSS class is changed per row using a
> >         lookup.
> >       * Paging through data sets.
> >       * Display a tree (it's a actually a site-map to the other pages in
> >         the application).
> >       * Simple session use.
> >       * Using macros to keep pages simple.
> >       * Custom tags - One wraps the content in a nicely coloured box,
> >         choosing appropriate colours; the other caches the content to
> >         disk for a user-defined period of time.
> >       * ... and probably some other bits that I can't think of right
> >         now.
> >
> > It's really trivial stuff (thanks to Albatross!) but if it's any use you
> > are welcome to that too.
>
> I don't know whether Dave is interested in it, but *I* would certainly like
> to see it. The more examples, the better. Would you mind making it
> available?

No problem. I will tidy things up and post the code somewhere, hopefully
in the next few days.

- Matt