[albatross-users] Authentication/Login example for RandomModules

Sheila King sheila at thinkspot.net
Sun May 25 01:56:50 EST 2003

--On Thursday, May 22, 2003 4:21 PM +0100 Matt Goodall
<matt at pollenation.net> wrote:

> I guess the only real criticism I have is that it doesn't cover random
> apps in as much detail as stateful. I've had to dive into the code quite
> a few times to make sure I understood what's going on, especially
> regarding the page lifecycle. I realise stateful is the main focus for
> Albatross but the random app mode is critical for public facing sites
> where bookmarking pages must be possible.

Yes, this is why I *have* to use a RandomPage application. I'm making an
account manager of sorts which clients will be using. Our experience on the
support desk indicates that when giving clients directions (which are always
sent via email) on how to accomplish certain web-related tasks, that we
MUST be able to provide URLs that take them directly to the pages where
the directions apply. Otherwise, there is too much confusion.

> I haven't looked at Sheila's app yet (there's never enough time is
> there!).
>
> I've actually got a small(ish) test aplication where I've been
> experimenting with using various aspects of Albatross. In particular it
> does:
>
>       * Simple loops, where the CSS class is changed per row using a
>         lookup.
>       * Paging through data sets.
>       * Display a tree (it's a actually a site-map to the other pages in
>         the application).
>       * Simple session use.
>       * Using macros to keep pages simple.
>       * Custom tags - One wraps the content in a nicely coloured box,
>         choosing appropriate colours; the other caches the content to
>         disk for a user-defined period of time.
>       * ... and probably some other bits that I can't think of right
>         now.
>
> It's really trivial stuff (thanks to Albatross!) but if it's any use you
> are welcome to that too.

I don't know whether Dave is interested in it, but *I* would certainly like
to see it. The more examples, the better. Would you mind making it
available?

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/