[albatross-users] popview example from documentation

Sheila King sheila at thinkspot.net
Thu May 15 10:01:03 EST 2003

--On Wednesday, May 14, 2003 4:33 PM +1000 Andrew McNamara
<andrewm at object-craft.com.au> wrote:

>> To solve this problem, I simply replaced the image src path/file in the
>> form tag with an image path/file that actually exists on my server.
>> After  doing this, the application worked properly.
>
> Certainly a strange effect.
>
>> Skimming through the documentation for this example, I do not see any
>> caution about this problem. Is this something that is obvious and I
>> should  have known?
>
> No - it's a bug in the samples installation process that we need to fix.
> Thanks for spending the time to track it down.

No problem.

>> (I did know to adjust the shebang line path to my executable
>> python binary, and I did know to change the pop host to an actual pop
>> host.)
>
> In an ideal world, you shouldn't have had to do that either. If distutils
> can get it right, then so should our installer.

Although I used disutils to install the albatross package, I have not used
the Installer programs for installing the various examples, but have
instead placed them manually into the directories where I would like to run
them. I have an innate distrust of installer processes that don't ask me
specifically where I want the stuff installed. Anyhow, I did search the
entire /samples directory, and no generic.gif file is included in the
samples...(as you know)

Additionally, figuring out how to place the files manually has also helped
me to understand to some extent the way the whole albatross package works.

>> Since no one mentioned this possibility, it makes me think this is
>> the first time it has come up on the list. Apparently the 404 error for
>> the  non-existent image file doesn't bother IE at all, but for Mozilla,
>> it  causes the process to fail. Kind of important??
>
> It smells like a browser bug to me, but obviously we should be installing
> the image.

OK, I will keep that in mind. Thanks for the support and feedback.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/