[albatross-users] URL style user inputs requiring a session server

abulka at netspace.net.au abulka at netspace.net.au
Mon Mar 17 15:30:14 EST 2003

I'm having trouble running the popview3 example.

1. I copied the file session-server/simpleserver.py
into the popview3 directory, ran it and then entered
   http://localhost:34343/popview.py
into my browser.  This doesn't work - what are the
correct instructions for running the popview3 example?

2. It seems that in order to have an albatross app be
responsive to URL style user inputs, like popview3,
e.g. <a href="magic?nextpage,m=1">Next Page</a> then
one needs to run an albatross session server.  Doesn't
this mean that I cannot deploy on my regular obscure
overseas ISP since they won't let me run my own server,
let alone have my own port?

3. Is there any documentation or quick overview of
what each part of URL style user inputs, mean to
albatross? e.g.
 e.g. <a href="magic?nextpage,m=1">Next Page</a>
What exact bit of my web app code is executed when a user
clicks on such an url?  How do I get at the url parameters
or does albatross make them available for me in some way?

If I had popview3 running I could probably deconstruct it
and figure out my question #3, however some simple
documentation on this would be good. The doco on <al-a> tags
is great on creating these sorts of tags, but not on what
they mean.

thanks,
-Andy Bulka
http://www.atug.com/andypatterns