[albatross-users] Renaming application and execution context classes

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Mon Jun 30 21:36:56 EST 2003

Dave Cole wrote:

> A long time ago Cameron Blackwood posted to this list complaining
> (quite rightly) that the application and execution context classes
> were badly named.  He made some suggestions here.
>
>     http://www.object-craft.com.au/pipermail/albatross-users/2002-November/000166.html
>
> I agree that the current class names could be improved but I cannot
> seem to come up with anything really good.  Below is a table of the
> current packaged classes and a new name suggestion.
>
> If we do perform a rename the existing names will remain as aliases to
> the renamed classes.
>
> Can anyone think of a better naming scheme?
>
> What are peoples' feelings about a rename?

given that I'm just started to get my mind around the albatross way, I'm not
sure I'm the best person to listen to but here is my two cents worth.

Change should improve the ability for the newbie to comprehend and the expert to
reference/identify.  It strikes me that the proposed class namings do neither.

To me, simple context is far more descriptive of what the class does than
template context.  This is more apparent when you contrast simple application
versus client session page object application.

On a personal note, I find StudleyCaps quite disturbing.  In 1994 after being a
programmer for 18 years, my hands gave out on me and I am now mostly dependent
on speech recognition for most computer operations.  it's mostly noticeable when
I don't pay full attention to this recognition errors and don't fix the wrong or
missing words.

Names such as TemplateCtx need to be spelled out as cap template no space cap
letter charlie tango x-ray every time it is used.  names like cap client no
space cap letters Sierra echo Sierra Sierra no space cap page letter cap Oscar
bravo Juliet no space alpha papa papa leave me feeling somewhat despondent.

If I add words like the below to my vocabulary, it degrades my overall
recognition for ordinary English.  I'm currently working on a technique to
partition the naming problem so I can improve recognition but dynamically add
coding names but it's slow going.  Eventually, I'll need to figure out how to
make Emacs gave me feedback on what class/method is currently active so I can
construct the right vocabulary for names but that's a different conversation.

again, this is a long-winded way of saying that ordinary_words
separated_by_the_underscore_character is preferable to me and that I subscribe
to the school of using active words when naming classes and methods.  For example:

SimpleContext maybe would be better described as:

create_simple_albatross_environment

because that is what it does.  It creates an environment in which you can define
variable elements which fill in variables in a template, retrieve field values
from a template, etc.  It doesn't create a template (that's defined in the
load_template method).  it is arguable whether or not what it returns can be
considered a context or an object.  In either case, it creates something not is
something

as for the other names, personally, I find names like ClientSessPageModApp and
FileSessByURLPageModApp more obscuring than illuminating.

---eric